Saturday, March 24, 2012

1 night in Mumbai

I made it. I made it to my one night stop over in Mumbai before heading out to Indore tomorrow morning. I am feeling good now that I have had a chance to shower, change clothes and brush my teeth. Flying for 18 hours in a 24 hour period is yuck. But I will know how to do it better next time.

I really enjoyed the first leg of the trip, 7 hours to KL. First time flying with Emirates and the following things made this a very exciting flight:
- Free movies, tv shows, playlists (unlike Jetstar, being the only other airline I've flown with o/s).
- Play list included a Madonna option! (And Iron Maiden for you, Alex Coish).
- Full length mirror in the bathroom.
- 'Fairy lights' on the roof so when it was dark you could see the illusion of being under the stars.
- Seats that actually 'recline', rather than 'jerkbackaninchundertheguiseofreclining'.
- Video view from your tv screen showing the front and down view of the plane. No more clamoring for window seat (I prefer aisle anyway, perhaps it's a control thing?).
- Can make calls/texts from your seat (might try this on my way back just cos I can).
- Cute little pillows that make for great back support along with my favourite on-flight accessory; my snuggie! Haters gonna hate but I used to judge the snuggie rage and then I used it on a plane and o.m.g this is exactly when you want sleeves in your blanket. Get around it.
- The ability to go shopping duty free during the flight using the shopping system on your tv screen. 

Enjoyed my first plane meal of a sandwich and muffin. So what if it was 4am my time.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't read my itinerary in great detail before leaving. So I was surprised to find that when we got off our first 7 hour flight we had 20 minutes before boarding the next 7 hour flight. I thought I had 3 hours in between. Luckily I had fellow Australian colleague Greg, who is also on this trip with me nearby and I think this gave me a sense of security. Flying home alone though, so step it up Towicz!

Unfortunately the second 7 hour flight was not as enjoyable. As it seems to be the case in this fast moving world, I acclimatised pretty quickly to the new exciting shiny toys I had listed above and instead heard the 3 crying babies who decided to tag team with their tears and screams. I also had a dodgy pair of headphones when trying to watch my movies so pressed the button to get a hostess to assist with a new pair. I will admit, this occurred 5 times before I finally had success (Should I feel bad? Nah...I wasn't going to be angry the whole way..I think the girl helping me decided my punishment for bringing her back was to leave the other 4-5 broken seats of headphones at my feet lol).

We only have a one night stop over in Mumbai before making our final destination, Indore. Here is a picture of my room below:

I am proud of myself for remembering to brush my teeth with bottled water given my level of serious sleep deprivation. Although, blonde moments have already begun with me hearing a random beeping noise on occasion from one part of the room. Eventually rang reception and a guy came up. Turns out it was the doorbell as the front counter was trying to deliver me some paperwork. Oops. 101 education on how a doorbell works- check.

So I have a 4.15am wake up call for my flight out to Indore, yet my PC is on Aus time where it is currently 4.12am. The last few timezones/day have been a blur.

Thanks for reading and commenting everyone! Not long now until I reach my destination of Indore and meet our client Hemal! :)

#ibmcsc #citizenibm

12 comments:

  1. Great to know the adventure is under way! Looking forward to reading your blog and will subscribe to it. Enjoy, don't forget to have fun and leave 'em smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your continual online support Matthew! I do appreciate the comments :) Hope all is going well with you and some new opportunities are making themselves known :)))

      Delete
    2. Getting there...some things in the works, shall keep you posted. Lovin' your blog posts!

      Delete
  2. So exciting, this is going to be an amazing and challenging time for you. Cannot wait to see how the rest of your stay turns out! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall finally be able to converse with you about some of the world that you have traveled to and swap thoughts and experiences! xxx

      Delete
  3. Jess, love ya work thanks for share your experience with us. Can we set you challenges? Ie photos of the people working with you ... is it to early to say I miss ya face? Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yup, I can deliver on that. Team members have only just started arriving today in Indore and I didn't think it would be fair to start playing happy snaps through-out travel mode. We were all a little disheveled! Definitely more pics on the way though to break up my monologues! Can't wait for our catch up when I get back xxx

      Delete
  4. Love the title of this blog...."One Night in Mumbai" - sounds like a good title for a movie!!! Have placed a call to Steven Spielberg and am currently in negotiations with Reese Witherspoon to play you in the lead role!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Pearl, love it. Let me know how go with Spielbs (that what all his close friends call him) :) thanks for reading xxx

      Delete
  5. Thanks Michelle! And so true, I am finding that I am really enjoying sharing through this method too. Definitely more productive than sending the same email or group emails out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Jess. It must be so exciting to be on your way there. Interesting to hear the differences between the two flights. Who would have thought to put fairy lights on the roof? Someone from Emirates obviously. A bit of outside the box thinking there : ) Looking forward to hearing all the details as I hope to do one of these trips soon. All the best. Stay safe, stay healthy and stay strong : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margarita WilliamsMarch 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

    sunggie!

    ReplyDelete