Saturday, March 31, 2012

One week in...

This time last week, I had arrived in Mumbai and was anticipating an early flight to Indore the following morning. I have now been here for one week (and interestingly, am preparing for an early bus ride to Bhopal tomorrow morning). I have some thoughts and pictures I will share with you that span a number of events and cross different days. I still want to do a reflective piece to capture my spiritual, psychological and emotional thoughts that have been appearing through out this week. I am not a 'changed' person per se, but I can see how the foundations may be shifting slightly.

So here goes:

The front of our hotel 'Lemon Tree'. I recommend this place if staying in India.
This type of humour adorns the walls and place-mats in the restuarant.
Hmm yep. No thanks.
Our first purchase of 'local' clothes
Concentrating on eating my ice-cream on one of our first nights. Such a piglet.
Our first yoga class with instructor, Mukesh (situated on the left). Doing this 2-4 times per week for the month.
A simple act like buying groceries turned into a mission when it involves 3 checkouts, 5 staff members,  people pushing in front of you and no communication about what is going on.
This restuarant was really nice and had lovely ambiance. Had to try this vegetarian dish which comes with chips cheese and gravy. Not to mention veggies and salad on the same plate.
And they served alcohol here! My first drink in a week! (Which sounds worse than it is...or is it just bad...?). Wasn't going to attempt a wine so instead had a Chivas Regal.
The view of Indore from the rooftop restuarant (thanks to Anika for taking this photo). It is very pretty.
After 2 days of field trips, we spend 1 day in the hotel revising our scope of work for the month. Great productive day. Great team.
This put us in good stead to meet with Hemal in her Indore office (a temp office) and discuss the next 3 weeks.
Hemal made us a lovely home cooked meal. The chipati (roti bread) tasted amazing.
And she surprised us with gifts!
And here we all are, after lunch. Another productive day.
Most nights, I return to my room to find my towel in the shape of an animal. Mostly it has been an elephant. Today it was this. The jury is out whether it is a snake, cobra (specifically) or a swan. The CSC team members each have an opinion on their own towels. What do you think?
Taking a break from Indian food- we went to Domino's. Where interestingly, you can sit and eat in here.
Just outside of Domino's there was a political meeting of some sort.
It's not all work though. Tonight we sat in our break out room and Anika (from Germany) introduced us to a ritual that you do when you drink a particular drink. Anika had kindly bought some German sweets and a small bottle of this liqueur with her for us to try. The ritual? You have to see it to believe it. You tap the bottle on the table in front of you for a few seconds, take off the cap, put the cap on your nose. Put the bottle in your mouth without drinking or spilling it. Then tap the bottle on either side of the bottle to the person next to you. Now shot without using your hands. Don't believe me? Photos as follows. One above is the 'cap on the nose' process.
Delfina and Masashi tapping their bottle on the table
Chink the glass with the person next to you, like Anika and Patrick here.
And Maria and Paul here.
Shot here like Maria and Tyler.
And try not to throw up like me, here.
Paul's elephant has become the team mascot. Read about the 'elephants journey soon via Paul's blog here.
Some observations thus far (in no particular order):
  • I was advised by Ron G from a previous CSC assignment to bring a power cable with me so that I can easily use my adapters and electrical outputs. I did this and it has been SO much easier (thanks Ron!!) however I should have brought 2 so that I could leave my laptop/phone charged on each side they are in the room and still be able to dry/curl my hair without creating an obstacle course like I currently do because my power-cord cable is only short.
  • I cannot get Lotus Mobile Connect working over here. Except for one time, where Patrick (from Brazil) was able to adjust a setting that allowed me to get one download of email but no access to W3. I think it is to do with the Lotus Mobile Connect settings that require you to have a secure internet connections before it will let you back into IBM. This hotel connection doesn't have a padlock so no go for me. AT&T seems to work for  the others fine (albeit sporadically on occasion). 
  • I was told a few times before leaving, that I should bring enough of my own local medication. I don't feel that I get sick all that often (besides cold-like symptoms) however this was a gross mis-perception/assumption for my experiences over here. I occasionally get eczema and over here, with the heat and dust; my skin is reacting. I also get headaches regularly back home and I don't know in which part of my so-called brain did I think I wouldn't need much of my medication when here. It's not like when you change countries, you change health concerns. With the time-zone shifts and lack of sleep, I am finding that I need it. I've had to use the travel medicine bag so that also comes in handy. This reminds me- Dad: Can you please look up my medications and tell me their generic (aka chemical compounds) so that I can take that list into the chemist here and they can provide me their equivalent?. Thanks :) Love you! (Yes- I have Google here, however I feel that this is a dad job).
  • I acknowledge that some of my comments so far on the blog have been leaning towards a cult like mindset change that can occur when a person gets really excited about something. I am aware of this. But trips like these really are mind-set changing and a growing experience. I don't know if I would just say that this 'changes you' but I think what underpins that statement, is definitely what I am observing and would agree too. 
  • We have to make sure when eating with clients / others that we only eat with one hand and pass dishes around the table with the 'clean' hand. This is difficult. Even more so when touching bread, but if you look at a person from India breaking a piece of roti in half, you will be impressed with their ability to do this one-handed.
  • I used to be scared of the idea of India. I no longer am. What I have realised, is that I was scared of the accumulation of other people's experiences and perceptions of India. I now have more trust in my ability to adapt to change and new surroundings. I admit, I've hardly been immersed in this world, I've just been given permission to look slightly more closely than the average person. I've only been here a week and I come back 'home' every night to a Western style hotel with all the comforts I am accustomed too. But I've seen enough which has enabled me to evolve from the state of life I had a week ago. I take my hat off to anyone who has done it 'tough' through living local in places like this. At the end of the day, we are all human. We just live differently.
  • Jojo- I have had many a compliments on the scarf that you had bought me. A hit :) Great choice so thank you xx
  • I hope that my resolve to do more with my life lasts long enough when I return home so I can actually do something about it. 
More dot points later. Time for this blogger (or unmarried woman depending on your cultural lens) to go to bed. Got to be on the bus to Bhopal in 7.30 hours.

P.s., I am thinking of everyone and wondering how you all are. I know I haven't been as responsive on text or been checking in much but there is very little down time and when I do have an hour spare (or an hour I can deduct from my sleep quota) I have chosen to blog as much as I can. Love to you all- I will need major updates when I return :) Being here has reiterated yet again, my love for my family and friends. I am a very lucky person to have so much love reciprocated in my life. 

Nighty night xx

#ibmcsc #citizenibm

2 comments:

  1. Loved this update with your photos! your team looks like lovely people, even tho we cant get in touch with you here i am so glad to see your loving it and making the most out of it, and cant wait for the catch up when you return!

    I laugh every time I write a comment as the security box comes up and says "prove your not a robot" haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, great blog ;) Good to see you all having fun.
    I wish you luck with the project, it seems you have busy working days.
    Waiting for your first weekend trip photos.

    ReplyDelete